I started this blog over a year ago after a chat with an online friend who probably doesn’t remember the exchange at all. In terms of fashion and textiles I get a ZERO in knowing anything about famous designers and seasonal trends. But I have always found design features easy to spot and understand, and (hopefully) articulate to other people. It was mentioned to me during the exchange that actually not everyone found this simple and effortless as I did, and that people could look at something, like it, and not completely understand why they liked it.
The reason why I focused on the geek angle was because I found myself going through the design recreation process the most with my loved geeky media, and I disliked the idea of writing the picture-a-day fashion blogs that were pretty to look at, but were also uninformative to boot. I was really afraid if I wrote a fashion blog it would turn into an excuse for narcissism (turns out this is actually Twitter/Twitpic).
The reason I haven’t been posting in the last few months is for a whole variety of reasons. One, because I haven’t found much geek fashion that’s really piqued my interest. But mostly because I’ve been working in professional(ish) environments more than going to university, and a certain standard of dress is required at those places. And part of the mission statement for this blog was to dress in outfits people could and would actually wear around, which for me, meant that I would have to actually wear them out for a day (and not to the post office or something). (Thirdly, I had a post lined up much earlier but my laptop harddrive died earlier in the year and so all the photos from that are gone.)
I am about to graduate and to be fair, the next few months look like I’m going to have even less of a chance to wear whatever the hell I want and commit to writing for the site. I have, however, been posting the occasional unrelated-to-geekery-appropriate-for-work outfit on Twitter. I’d like to hear what you’d like to see on this blog.
Here are your options. They are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
- Nothing but the occasional update that retains the geekery and DIY theme. Quality over quantity, even if quantity comes once every five months.
- Get a lookbook account for those who want to follow my non-geeky escapades into fashion. (ie. Give up all pretense of this not being an exercise in narcissism)
- A fortnightly fashion dump unrelated to geekery, but I’ll do my best to describe the outfits, how I put them together and why. Plus whatever occasional geekery and DIY updates I can manage.
- Put together outfits, write about them, but don’t wear them outside the house if they’re unsuitable for the day and/or weather conditions. I can probably commit to a relevant geek post once a month in this case.
- More non-outfit posts! Wardrobe spotlights, acquisitions, posts about hair and make-up (hahaha, I suck at makeup in the most extreme way), more posts with links pointing to good resources.